Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Re: [Yasmin_discussions] Why do Scientists engage in Art-Science practices today?

Hallo Mercado (is the use of this word in particular at all ironic in the
context of what is happening in the world?)

> We ask the question
>
> Why do Scientists engage in Art-Science practices today?

Again, I feel that my sense-making of this question sees something exclusive,
exclusionary.

I agree with Frieder's questioning of where his personal praxis fits in the
'system' that is being promoted here. I personally know his formidable praxis,
and myself, I would never label it because I know the unique space of individual
and idiosyncratic expression that it encompasses -- a label simply denegrates a
life praxis that crosses traditional boundaries of any sort.

I have an undergraduate degree in geophysical engineering. This technically is
not science. I did empirical field research, however, in the service of an
academic institution and several extractives corporations. But I've carried a
camera for more than 40 years. My two graduate degrees were in media in one form
or another. But my dissertation crossed over (among many spaces) systems theory,
chi energy, code, finance, war-making, and dialogue.

I now participate as a learning facilitator dealing with systems thinking,
ecological regeneration, and creative engagement while sustainably re-building
an old house, and taking long walks in the Sonoran Desert. This is not science
(or, shall I say that many scientists and *many* institutions (social power
centers) would give no credence to what I do).

I am creative working with a wide variety of technologies -- from the body to
the mind to telecommunications networks.

I have crossed many disciplinary boundaries in my life, many career titles, many
places, cultures, and institutions.

My discomfort with the discussion on Yasmin was echoed by comments that Bronac
made earlier this month. There are too many traditional metrics, languages,
approaches, and sought-after 'outputs' marketed in the discussion. The same kind
of institutionalized 'get-ahead' thinking/speaking that suffuses the SEAD list.

There are few interstices for creative dialogue, so, please:

"Can something be added that reflects this spirit of enquiry... that can
lead to creative leaps ....as in science Franklin and lightning
experiments.....dangerous but creating significant sparks...?" -- Bronac

in the stead of calls for insider conferences, white papers, and proposals.

Maybe I'm completely wrong with this appraisal, as an outsider, but as my
trans-disciplinary process absolutely does *not* pay attention to labels, as
soon as short-hand labels rise to prominence, to dominate conversation, imho,
the sparks get snuffed, and there is only same-old same-old remaining. I could
get this same-old same-old by becoming an (adjunct) faculty somewhere and
letting that pathological system bleed my soul. Speaking with Steina last month,
she reminded me of and re-emphasized to me the travesty of institutionalized
arts education ... þakka þér svo mikið, elskan!

I have come to believe that human encounter and open dialogue (as Martin Buber
and David Bohm wrote about) is a/the crux of reality. At the same time, when the
qualities of the interchange begin to simply reflect dominant social paradigms,
the potential of the encounter begins to decay into carrion of naked careerism,
finding the next hyped line of approach to institutional 'success'.

It could well be that transdisciplinarity stumbles because people come to the
table with lists of institutions, badges of honor, glittering social
affirmations, track-records of support of military-industrial-academic complexes
(US), or cultural industrial complexes (Europe), or both, and so on.

Open dialogue does not fall to that lowest-common denominator.

Perhaps it's best to arrive at the party 'sans portfolio'.

Some late-night reflections.

JH

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dr. John Hopkins
grounded on a granite batholith
twitter: @neoscenes
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

SBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.
If you prefer to read the posts on a blog go to http://yasminlist.blogspot.com/