Thursday, November 26, 2015

Re: [Yasmin_discussions] why scientists engage in art-science practices

Dear Frieder
I would argue for a semantic reachability and cross-connectivity. An example
with black hole physics: I am reading through an article on dark matter or black
holes. Within each, I can scan the work of artists who use black holes as metaphors.
I can do this because I have a wiz-bang new human interface technology that is
being invented as we speak. If it doesn't yet exist, let's pretend. For those who are
interface-obsessed as I am, you might like a collection of futuristic interfaces I put
together on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU7jB7dwlqS4MYL5pT_o248Soi1P2Vx1x
Indeed, I can browse the concepts of "hole" and "black." Change of venue: I am in
a museum. I am looking at an artist's work in abstraction expressionist style. There
is blackness. I reach out with my futuristic interface, and I can read the black hole
article in the museum. I swipe it and store it in my cloud reading folder for later
consumption. The problem is our lack of connectivity and that our human interfaces to
technology are very good, but not yet there. Let's see if we can work together
to improve them. I don't think any of this requires necessarily that artists and scientists
work together. Instead, let's work together at reaching each others products. Maybe
that is a start.
-p

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 12:03 PM, roger malina <rmalina@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues of Yasmin, engaged in exchanges about science and art
> or the other way around,
>
> with joy I read. Rubbing my eyes. A disbeliever often, a sceptic.
> The contributions, the discussion is inspiring. I wish I had time to
> participate in the way some of you do.
> But now the black holes, dark matter. And metaphors. This gives me a
> push to send a remark.
>
> A person trying to do a work of which she or he hope that it will be
> recognized as a work of art, often relies for many reasons on a
> metaphor, a metaphorical little story to find inspiration for that
> work. The black hole, of course, is such a case. A greatly powerful
> case. A strong mataphore. A hole, we immediately grasp. Likewise a
> hole when it is black.
>
> The physicist on the other side. I do not understand the physics of
> black holes nor all that that is associated with them. Even worse: I
> believe this metaphore when used in physics is as metaphorical as it
> would be in the case of a work meant to become a work of art. The
> black hole in physics is a work on its way to be accepted as a work of
> art. Unfortunately, the writing about it is lacking the artistic
> spirit. In the sense of art and science collaboration, two or a few
> more, from physics and from art, should get together and design a
> mutli-media event on black – not intending to demonstrate art in
> service of physics, but physics having become art.
>
> You believe this is not serious? Maybe you are right. I don't know.
>
> Frieder Nake
>
> _______________________________________________
> Yasmin_discussions mailing list
> Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
> http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions
>
> Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin
>
> SBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
> HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
> TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.
> If you prefer to read the posts on a blog go to http://yasminlist.blogspot.com/


_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

SBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.
If you prefer to read the posts on a blog go to http://yasminlist.blogspot.com/