Monday, March 16, 2009

[Yasmin_discussions] Fwd: artwork as prototype

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Luke Jerram <luke.jerram@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:00:05 -0000
Subject: artwork as prototype
To: robert.thill@gmail.com
Cc: yasmin_discussions-request@estia.media.uoa.gr

Reading the latest discussion is really interesting.

'Retinal Memory Volume' was also made as a prototype. A proof of
concept & demonstration to show what can be done with the technology.
This is one of the reasons the chair image was chosen.  I patented it
as I saw its potential commercial application. Like a previous artist
described, when it came to developing the artwork as a business I lost
interest.

I got as far as making stencils and testing them out in nightclubs,
approaching lighting companies and visiting a trade show.
I was told at the time, my patent has no intrinsic value, its just a
piece of paper. What would be of value, would be a business selling
and renting after-image lighting. I still think there is real
potential in this but pursuing this is not the path I've chosen.
But the idea of building a business that had a value, renting kits or
trying to sell lighting was never going to be as interesting as making
the next artwork.

Also there is something ethically wrong/invasive about the technology
that put me off developing it. Would I really want logos branded onto
my daughters retinas as we walked down the high street? Sky Orchestra
also has the potential for misuse, invading the privacy of our homes,
sleep and dreams with music.

After the success of the retinal installation, a few arts directors
wanted to commission me to make another after-image installation, but
I didn't want to be come known as the 'after-image installation
artist' - I could have easily built a career and brand doing just
this. For this reason my next installation 'Tide' was an exact
opposite to my after-image work. Opposite in material form, intention
and scale -  an installation controlled by the movements of the sun
and moon.

Best-
Luke


Luke Jerram
Tel: +44 (0) 117 9231969
www.lukejerram.com
Artist in Residence at FACT, Liverpool for European Capital of Culture 2008

NEWS>>
- Jerram nominated for Artes Mundi 4 Prize
- Dream Director exhibited at De La Warr Pavillion 3-5th April
- Book Launch for 'Art in Mind' at Arnolfini, Bristol 10th May

_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.

HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").

HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.