THE SCIENCE EXHIBITION: CURATION, DESIGN, COMMUNICATION
We invite papers for a forthcoming book which will explore three related
themes in relation to science exhibitions in museums:
* the processes involved in developing new science exhibitions in and for
* the issues involved in transforming scientific ideas or events into
* the challenges faced by museums in communicating science to a wide
We are particularly interested in new, innovative and successful initiatives
in this field.
Much has been written about the difficulties of disseminating science to the
public through a variety of new and traditional media. It is, indeed, a
complex subject to tackle in the exhibition space, yet a challenging and
How best to understand the process of working from scientific data to the
ideas-based exhibition? What exactly is lost during the transformation of
factual information into an exhibition environment? And more importantly,
how can the exhibition work most effectively as a tool for narrating
science, its past and present?
We welcome a range of submissions including, but not limited to, the
* both theoretical perspectives and case studies relating to science
* exhibition design for science: problems and opportunities
* successful design techniques and approaches in relation to science
* science communication in the museum: interpretation issues
* learning activities and science collections
* developing learning resources for science exhibitions
* object stories and science learning
* exhibitions interpreting the history of science
Please submit an abstract (up to 400 words) and a biographical note (up to
250 words) by email to both:
Dr Anastasia Filippoupoliti
Museologist and Historian of Science
Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Publisher, MuseumsEtc Ltd, UK
Deadline for abstracts and bio 30 September 2009
Selection for inclusion 30 October 2009
Yasmin_announcements mailing list
Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.